Monday, October 22, 2007

Spider-Man: The Musical

When I first read that they were going to make Spider-man the Musical I could not believe my eyes, it was one of those one of those rub your eyes and look again moments. I will admit that on occation I attend the musical theater; Peter Parker did it for Mary Jane and I do it for my girl. I saw a 'Spider-man Show' at Universal Studios, it was a 45 minute musical show; unfortunatly I thought it was really cheesey. At first when I heard the music was being written by Bono of U2 I thought that musical might have a chance but then I read one of the chacarter descriptions in the casting call and that thought went right out the window. Here is a direct quote:

[ARACHNE] Female, 20-35 years old, any ethnicity. A beautiful, boastful young woman turned into a spider for her hubris and lack of respect for the gods. She subsequently appears to Peter Parker and the audience as in turn a powerful spider-woman who comes from another time to inspire Peter; an otherworldly lover; a bride; a terrifying (and sexy) dark goddess of vengeance; a dance partner in a charged and violent spiders dance of death; and, finally, a lonely, fragile young woman. Possesses an ethereal, unique, gorgeous singing voice. Strong Celtic, Balkan style, e.g., Sinead O'Connor. Outside the box ideas are welcomed. Could be someone from the music industry.[s]

I don't claim to be a Spider-man expert, but I have no clue what universe they got that story from. If it was up to me and I was doing a brand new thing on Broadway, like bringing super heroes to the musical theater, I would defnitly go for a classic story line.

Would I like to see this show, yes. Do I think it will do well, unfortunatly no. I think it would be great if the show does well, but I think the show has to be pretty spectaular in order to do so.

Let me hear what you have to say about this whole Spider-man the Musical business in the comments.

1 Comment:

  1. Sadalbari said...
    Holy cow! Sounds cheesier than Wisconsin!....or one of Robin's sayings.
    The only musical I've ever seen was "Cats" and that was years ago, (and I watched it on t.v. hehe)
    Needless to say I enjoy a good movie with high quality computer graphics and explosions to a Spider-Man musical anyday!
    (I do give the best of wishes to the creators of the play, and to the young actors who star in it though).

Post a Comment